As I was exiting the health club this morning I noticed a bumper sticker that made me smile…a cute dog proclaiming, “Bark less, Wag more!” You know how sometimes the right message hits you at the right moment? This week I’ve heard my share of concerns from several residents on various different issues, and sometimes we all have valid reasons to “bark.” But instead of letting it get me down, I am going to choose to “wag” my tail a little harder. Because there are a lot of really good things to love about Long Grove, and I hear about them from residents that I listen to, who write to me, and who commented on our recent community survey. Here is just a snippet off the top of my head:
What Do We Love About Long Grove?
- Seeing the sunny daffodils bloom each spring along the right-of-ways and getting free bulbs to plant each fall.
- Witnessing a huge herd of deer bounding through the snow in the backyard.
- Christmas lights on the covered bridge.
- Open spaces that sport native and sometimes rare prairie wildflowers.
- Knowing that Sunset Foods donates a little bit more to our local school districts each time we use cloth or reusable bags.
- Having a drink at a tavern that has been in continual operation since the 1800’s.
- Enjoying beautiful music on Towner Green on Sunday afternoons in the summer.
- Friendly neighbors who share our “Long Grovian” tendencies.
- Neighborhood walking trails and nature preserves we can use everyday.
- Schools that prepare our children for the future with a high quality education.
- Safe and tidy neighborhoods and volunteers who step up to keep them that way.
I hope your tail is wagging with many, many more reasons to love Long Grove.
Happy Valentine’s Day!